18 May 2nd Annual Evening of Entrepreneurs – WIT NY Chapter
A WIT-Fueled Evening of Inspiration and Entrepreneurship in NYC!
Guests gathered together in New York City, on May 11th, for a fun and empowering evening to learn how two successful toy industry women got their start in business — Samantha Freeman, CEO of Out of the Blue Enterprises and Kate Karcher Clark, President & CEO of Yottoy Productions, Inc. Many thanks to Out of the Blue for hosting and sponsoring a fantastic event, including the delicious nibbles and vino!
Samantha kicked things off by sharing the story of her journey, including how she got her start in the industry and the many steps she took to launch Out of the Blue and become CEO of Colorforms. She also provided invaluable insights on what it’s like to work in a variety of media platforms and how to navigate the educational marketplace.
Kate introduced us to the world of creating toys based on timeless children’s books. From the land of Madeline to the jungles of Curious George, Kate has gained a foothold in the toy and gift industry with retail and promotional clients by bringing classic children’s books to life. Check out her top 10 tips for what it takes to be a successful women-owned business:
10 Tips for Women-Owned Businesses:
1. Follow your intuition.
2. Be a creative thinker.
3. Don’t think you are so driven in business that you don’t have time for your children.
4. Delegate in all aspects of your life.
5. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
6. You must be a driven multi-tasker.
7. Catch up whenever you can, but turn off work sometimes to gain fresh perspective.
8. Realize everything won’t be perfect, and don’t feel guilty about what you can’t get done.
9. Look for what you can do to change an industry – what sets your business apart.
10. Tap into organizations that promote women!