About the Role
Art Director: ThinkFun
At ThinkFun, the Brain & Logic Division of Ravensburger, we look for teammates who are passionate about product design, having fun, and who understand the power of play. We have an immediate opening for an Art Director to lead and execute on the creative vision for ThinkFun. This person would be responsible for the creation of assets for products, product support, and brand support.
We are a one-stop-shop, creating product, packaging, catalogs, videos, digital assets, photography and more. This role requires someone who can develop the strategic, creative, overarching plans and manage and mentor a team working toward that vision. This individual must also be able to personally execute on the creation of materials.
• Creative strategic input during creation of product strategy and line planning.
• Creative consulting
• Project management: oversee the development, coordination, execution, and supervision of design concepts (e.g., packaging design, content design, illustrations, etc.), including project-budgeting and priority-assignment.
• Joint evaluation with department leads of all intermediate design development steps for key projects.
• In-house conceptual content creation: sketches, concepts, mood boards, design iterations.
• Create materials as well as review and approval of work from direct reports on each product design to ensure effective, efficient development throughout the product development process.
• Brand identity: definition, execution, and review of design standards to achieve the defined design goals, especially regarding brand consistency, functionality, visual quality, etc.
• Sourcing of external service providers: talent scouting, networking with appealing and product-appropriate artists, designers, photographers in the industry.
• Trend research and reporting: licensing, pop culture, gaming, and other trend research in content, design, and illustration.
• Industry Events and Conferences: Responsible for the creative vision and brand presentations for events. Attend as needed.
Key general responsibilities:
• Lead, inspire, & develop the art team.
• Provide design expertise within and across the wider ThinkFun team.
• Review ALL ThinkFun Art before going to press.
• Build strong relationships and collaborate with stakeholders internally and externally.
• Strategic partnering with the Head of ThinkFun and International Marketing Manager.
• Development of timelines for art and budget estimates with department leads.
• Content management (incl. archives) – electronic file storage, delivery of assets
• Strong knowledge of design, specifically the design of consumer game products, promotional items/marketing collateral. Very familiar with cutting edge concepts, practices and procedures and technological advances in the field.
• Ability to independently concept and develop creative designs that are on strategy with brand platform.
• Excellent project management skills, including the ability to take ownership for accomplishing assigned tasks. Results-oriented planner who ensures that goals are met. Able to set priorities and keep to projected schedules.
• Excellent communication skills (oral, written, presentation) with both external and internal customers.
• Excellent organizational, time management and prioritization skills:
o Able to multi-task, maintain focus on several different projects at one time and hit deadlines.
o Able to be flexible with attention and priority.
o Able to work in a progressive, fast-paced environment (work well under pressure).
• Strong analytical skills, with an ability to troubleshoot, problem-solve and effectively and efficiently make decisions.
• Strong “leads by example” presence:
o Future-oriented in thinking and operation.
o Optimistic/positive attitude and approach to problem solving.
o Embodies a sense of urgency in actions.
o Able to be patient and objective in difficult situations with different types of people.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including an ability to influence others and an ability to relate to individuals at all levels of an organization.
• Ability and desire to mentor and manage team members.
• Ability to function independently with a high level of integrity and professionalism.
• Computer Skills: Comfortable and effective working in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Ability to work in Adobe Creative Suite design software including InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, also able to work in Adobe Acrobat.
Education Level Requirement:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
• 10+ years of experience working as a designer of consumer products in a production environment.
• Experience within the toy and/or game industry preferred.
• Management and experience with leadership of a team preferred.
• Must have good track record collaborating with teams and have strong references